The United States Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO”) announced it is making some significant fee increases effective January 2, 2021. Specifically, the fee increases will affect new applications, registration maintenance filings and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (“TTAB”) proceedings.
- New Fees
- Filing a letter of protest: $50 per application
- Filing a brief in an ex parte appeal to the TTAB: $200 per class
- A second or subsequent request for an extension to file an appeal brief: $100 per application
- A request for an oral hearing: $500 per proceeding
- Deleting goods or services after submitting a Section 8 but prior to acceptance: $250 per class
- Increases in Fees
- TEAS Standard filing fees increasing from $275-350 per class
- TEAS Plus fees increasing from $225 per class to $250 per class
- Section 8 Application (5-6 years after registration; 9-10 years after registration, and so on) fees increasing $100 per class
- Filing fees for notices of opposition and petitions to cancel increasing from $400 to $600 per class
Trademark owners and prospective trademark applicants may wish to take advantage of the current fee rates before the new fees take effect January 2, 2021.